Friday, March 31, 2006

Mos Eisley Spaceport

No April Fool’s tomfoolery for me this time. No fake fights with co-bloggers. No recaps of bankroll shattering bad beats. Nope. None of that.

The Blogger Baseball League (BBL) drafted last night. I missed the first four rounds coaching my son’s baseball team, but I had adjusted my auto-draft rankings to ensure I wouldn’t have a carbon copy of my last team. And, by gum, they worked!

CJ was a last minute addition to the league, bumping us to ten players. Quite a roster of miscreants, deviants, Playboy-bunny molesters, and various other unsavory characters.

Iggy - http://guinnessandpoker.blogspot.com
CJ – http://www.upforanything.net/poker
Donkeypuncher - http://donkeypuncher.blogspot.com
Scurvy - http://suckout.blogspot.com
Daddy - http://www.snailtrax.net
Garthmeister J - http://discofinery.blogspot.com
Nick Christy - http://futurewsopchamp.blogspot.com
ZeRat11 - http://blog.pokerwords.com/
Johnny Flopboot – Frequent commenter on all of the above
Oh, and yours truly



Obi-Wan said it best, “You won’t ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.”

When I arrived, the drafting war room seemed eerily silent. Apparently, DP managed to schedule the draft for a time when almost nobody could make it. Dumbass. I threw out some feelers (if you consider uncensored f-bombs “feelers”) during the draft to gauge the group. Garth immediately perked up, as did CJ. Scurvy was present but seemed distracted, no doubt 6-tabling in other windows. I got sucked out several times (a fabricated poker/fantasy league euphemism for someone taking a targeted player a round before you could), and let my displeasure be known by swearing in the refreshingly uncensored chat window. My team ended up solid, but unspectacular. As you can imagine, the teams with absentee drafters didn’t fare as well, kinda like when you leave a table and let them take your blinds.

More details on this league as the season progresses. I would expect to be contending throughout the year (my pitching is actually very good), with marginal BA and speed. If anything, I have too many players in the same mold, 20/90/90 type players that I might need to move in exchange for a .300/20 SB type player.

In poker news, I won a $20+2 Horse SnG at FTP (which makes sense, since they’re the only ones I know of that spread the game.) I’m starting to develop a strategery for the July WSOP Horse Satellite. Hell, I won the seat, I might as well use it. Specifically, I’m gonna play more Horse than NLHE for a few months and work on my limit games. One of my (ahem) strengths in Horse is my ability to switch gears from game to game. Most other players seem to lock in a pattern of passiveness during the less familiar stud games, and I can frequently build my stack significantly through aggression during the RSE games, enabling me to value bet draws in LHE and nut peddle in O-8.

I’m not kidding myself though. I’m gonna need to get exceptionally lucky to make any kind of noise in the satellite. And this satellite is going to attract a ton of pros, all seeking to get into the biggest WSOP game for the price of a $500 satellite. I’m still open to selling the satellite seat, but I’m not actively soliciting now. In fact, if I do sell it, it’ll be for cash up front + a piece of the action should the person cash in the big event.

And honestly? I think I can keep up with most of the bloggers (read: non-professional players) around here in Horse. Which is why I’m probably gonna keep the seat and take my chances.

3 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger ScurvyDog said...

Dude, of course I was distracted, the OC was on.

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck in the Baseball league... I missed the draft, but didn't fare too bad.

I haven't played rotiss in years though, so I don't know how this is going to go. I seem to remember that if you dug yourself a hole early it was very hard to get out of after the break.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Floor Heating Yakima said...

This was lovely tto read

 

Post a Comment

<< Home