Friday, March 16, 2007

The big time... redux

Back in mid-2004, this humble blog was linked up by the immortal blogfather, Iggy. I had made "the big time". Well, a lot has happened since then. I've made hundreds, probably thousands of dollars, playing online poker. The Red Sox won a World Series. The 49ers are now respectable again. The Sharks are legitimate Stanley Cup contenders. Online poker had a huge-mongous boom, followed by a moderate crash, and is slowly trying to re-find its legs.

And this blog went from some traffic to little traffic.

Well, this blog might be waning, but my readership just went up a hundred-fold. I've been asked to be a contributor to Up with Sports, a melange of poker-playing sports fans across the country blogging about, well, sports. My contributions will likely provide, along with Joe Speaker, a west-coast flavor to the decided southeastern menu of writings.

My fandom is relatively well-chronicled here. 49ers, Sharks, Giants, Warriors... in that order. I'll root for the Raiders and A's purely for geographic loyalty. As a San Jose State grad, collegiate sports are less intense for me (long stretches of rotten teams will do that). Stanford gets some regional love, but Berkeley politics preclude rooting for any of their teams. I'm one of the original fantasy geeks, participating in fantasy football leagues since 1986, and I have Hall-of-Fame status at WhatIfSports, kind of a network of stats geeks.

I'll still rant about sports here, but will save my most eloquent rants for my new gig. My NL West preview will be up there on 3/25. See ya there!

4 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Awesome gig, Commish. Looking forward to reading your sports rants, even if I am a lousy Northeasterner.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger BG said...

Southeastern? Where exactly do you think Pennsylvania is on the map?

(Says the guy who insisted to his friend-who-is-a-girl-with-whom-he-sleeps on the phone yesterday that Memphis was well east of Indianapolis, and confused the Arkansas/Tennessee border with the sole of the boot southern border of the state of Indiana.)

Welcome though!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Todd said...

I said "decidedly southeastern", not "totally redneck".

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger jremotigue said...

HOT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home