Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Three things I learned last night:

1. Curt Schilling is THE MAN.
2. A-Rod is a whiny little cheater. His hands-raised “Who me?” brought back memories of Magic Johnson at his I-never-commit-a-foul peak. I’d rather have him laugh, pat the umpires on the back, and say “Of course I slapped the ball. Wouldn’t you? You caught me this time”.
3. I can’t watch playoff baseball and play online poker very well. I busted out of three SnGs last night trying to play poker between pitches, dropping a quick $50+.

Other quick thoughts:

Jerry Rice got traded for a bag of practice balls and a mug of beer yesterday, and if he contributes to the Seahawks this year, that mug of beer will upgrade to a pitcher. Seriously, he can be single-covered by ANY corner in the league now. The greatest receiver ever. And now he can be covered by a rookie nickelback. One on one. If he catches a touchdown this year, he should retire on the spot.

My poker play is cyclical depending on site. I’m now winning at PokerStars (2x original buy-in), and whittling away my profits at Pacific and Empire. Not entirely sure why, but it seems like I get my money in at the right times (ie. with at least a 3-2 advantage), but I’m losing on the draws. Since more people fish at Pacific and especially Empire, the draws there are killing me. Another hole in my play is I don’t BET draws. Sure, I might bet, but I don’t BET. I’ve noticed that when I BET, I either have a strong hand or complete shit, never a draw. Not sure if this is a hole (though maybe the predictability is a hole) or what to do about it…

Like last night, I hit a baby flush on the turn (I think I had T9s) and raised more than the pot, hoping to fold out the high flush draws. I got one caller, who I put on the Ace of my suit and definitely on a draw. Turns out I was right about one thing, he was on a draw, but for a boat with his flopped (and over-slowplayed) set. Naturally, his boat came on the river to knock me to the felt. I got my money into the pot as a 3-1 favorite and lost. Sigh. Sometimes it just seems that the pendulum is stuck on the other side of the table and will never swing back your way.

Quick question: Is anyone in Boston (New England) or New York working today? I sure as hell wouldn’t be… I’d be in a bar at 3 and prepping for the bedlam at 8. Good luck to both teams and I think I speak for everyone when I say “I hope it doesn’t come down to an umpire’s call.”

4 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly a long suffering Bostonite. Calling A Rod a cheater is ridiculous. He was going to be out, tried to be creative and was caught. Would you think the same thing if the show was on the other foot? Loved the comment on Magic. But, with your broadsweeping comments on players that have been a thorn in Boston's sports side, I'm sure you've been out there saying that McHale was one of the biggest thugs of all time for his clothes line of Rambis back in '85. One of the dirtiest plays of all time and if you don't call him a thug, then your pretty inconsistent, but that's the right of a sports fan.

Couldn't agree more on Rice. I kind of expect him to show up on the Mets playing CF. Pretty sad that he's ending his career much the same way Mays did.

BP

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I am in sitting at my desk, but not doing much actual work. Having a mortgage and 2 kids kind of does that to you. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Nope, not a Bostonite, just don't like the Yankees. My disgust/disdain for A-Rod is mainly due to his reaction to the play. I have no problem with his blatant (and successful) attempt to swipe at the ball: my problem is with his "Who me?" attitude when he was called on it. Plus, he's cultivated this image as a clean-living baseball-lovin' kid, just happy to be in the bigs. Hey, Moneybags, you tried to cheat, you got caught, MOVE ON!

And for the record, I hate Kevin McHale. He was a reminder of the Robert Parish for Joe Barely Cares trade by the Warriors with the 3rd pick - McHale - as a throw-in. Effing Warriors anyway...

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough. A Rod's reaction was half hearted acting, so it really didn't bother me. Did like all your comments anyway.

As for A Rod's clean image, sad to say that I'm a native of Los Angeles, and of course a Laker fan. If one of the cleanest images in all sports, Kobe, now comes off as self centered, me first, uncoachable, foul mouthed, finger pointing, lying adulterer (and perhaps worse, we'll never know). Do I sound passionate? At least A Rod's nose is still relatively clean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home