Thursday, March 24, 2005

The greatest suckout of my life…

It was in a $5 SnG on FullTilt. Yes, I’ve sunk to that level. But that’s not even the best part. One of the players (Doctor6981) was proclaiming his supremacy over the table by openly mocking the others with witticisms like “You’re weak.” and “I’m going to take all your money”. I was baiting him with “You’re right, I can only strive to be worthy of your scorn” and “I only hope to learn from your greatness” and shit like that.

Naturally we end up head-to-head at the end, virtually dead even. He seemed like a reasonably decent player, albeit with an annoying tableside manner. He continued to criticize my play and question my manhood. I continued to not-too-subtly feign worship until my massive suckout. I was dealt AQo and raised to 3xBB (SOP, we had been raising each other’s blinds regularly) and he called. Flop was KKx. I floated a half-pot bet and he quickly raised. Now, the question was whether or not he had a K to call the preflop raise, and whether he had the skill to slowplay it if he did. I guessed that he would’ve slowplayed trips, and pushed all-in.

Oooops, he had Kx. I could almost hear Mike Sexton yelling “Oh, the Commish got caught there! He’s in big trouble… He needs Aces on the turn and river, or two running cards for a straight to stay alive!” Oh well,, at least I won $10. Turn was a Ten. Boy, that Carrie Underwood on American Idol is cute…. River is… a Jack! Holy shit, I made a runner-runner Broadway!

Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

Even the Doctor said “I probably deserved that”. I finished him off a couple of hands later, but the odds were roughly 49-1 against me winning the hand (according to the Cardplayer calculator). Suh-weet.


Later in the evening, I jumped over to Pacific and played another $5 SnG. And won. 2 for 2.


Oh, and I need to clarify something. I don’t know shit about Razz. Please don’t take my “advice” seriously. On a scale of 1-10, I’m probably about a 2 or a 3. But you know what? That’s good enough against most of the unimaginative players out there. Stud games are more about the third and fourth level thinking (“What does he think I have?” and “What does he think I think he has?”) than Hold’Em or Omaha, and most players can’t see beyond their own cards (first level). I’m merely pointing out that Razz is a new game for most of us, and those that can think in layers can take financial advantage of the rash of newbies hitting the FTP Razz low-limit tables and SnGs. Remember, FTP is the ONLY major site that offers Razz, meaning that the Razz education for most players MUST be at FTP. Might as well make them pay for the lessons…

Think of it this way, if you’re a good athlete, you have a good chance of picking up a new sport faster than a klutz, and at the beginning of the learning curve for both of you, the good athlete will dominate, probably more at the front end than at any other point. That’s where Razz is right now.

Of course, that’s only my opinion. And I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home