Monday, November 21, 2005

Karma

I was going to recap my nice little SnG streak over the weekend, but CJ makes my nice little run look like a big steaming turd next to his MTT streak.  If you want to hear about a blogger making thousands of dollars during a rush, go to UpForPoker.  If you want to hear about a small-timer making a quick $300+ run in SnGs, then you’re in the right spot.

Three straight firsts bookended by two seconds constitutes a streak by my meager standards.  Of course, when you’re playing the $25+2 Turbo’s at PokerStars, the profit ($337.50) is equal to CJ’s tip money for the weekend.  I’m not really sure what precipitated this turn of events…. Maybe it’s Karma.

Why Karma?  Well, I found out today that my company has decided to eliminate my position effective the end of the year.  So I’m expected to be a good soldier for the next six weeks and not password-protect crucial internal files or install some really cool time-bomb macros into pricing spreadsheets in exchange for a positive reference and a severance package that will pay me through February.  I haven’t decided where my tipping point for EV is for this, so stay tuned.  “Happy fucking Thanksgiving, here’s your notice.”

I know many bloggers have had, um, job interruptus at various times over the last few years.  I’m curious, how many continued to play online poker during the “down” time?  How many played more?  Less?  Of course, this is mostly relevant only for other bloggers with families and mortgages.  I know all you single guys out there just used the free time to play, and all you married guys with no kids just used the free time to play and lied to your wives about it.  I’m likely gonna have a buttload of free time at the beginning of the year to figure this out for myself, and I expect to be spending most of it hitting the pavement looking for gainful employment.

But do I quit poker and cash out my $1K+ in online accounts?  Do I wait until the cash starts running out for household stuff?  Do I continue to play poker, knowing that my cash flow will be cut off in three months?  Should I try the MTTs and hope to hit one (or many, like CJ)?  Heady stuff.  



3 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I would do, as my family/poker situation is similar, is I would cash out everything except for $200, and play $5 SnGs and MTTs while job hunting. I have always been overconservative with bankroll management, but that has helped me to never go broke and has allowed me to continue to play poker as much as I like without guilt or worry.

Stepping down to $5 SnGs will be crappy at first, but like I said, there is no chance you will regret your decision, and with the amount of time you have available you can still rebuild a decent roll inbetween interviews.

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to add to my comment, this will make things easier when negotiating with the wife after you get a new job. If you keep the grand in online poker sites, and lose a good chunk of it, then it will be harder for you to justify topping it off when you have a (hopefully) better job. If you cash out $800, and lose the $200 after (which I don't think you will - but we're talking worst case), then you can easily justify throwing a few hundred back into a site. Either way, like I said, there's no guilt from playing, so you can still bring out your A game, and you are assured to be playing for months to come.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger jremotigue said...

I'm with Mr Anonymous.

Or you could cash it all out and play with your ad revenues.

It would be interesting to see how high you can get your roll using money from ads.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home