Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Cat's in the Cradle

Have I mentioned that PokerStars is the most spectacular poker site in the world?  Far better than those disloyal hacks at Party Poker or those bracelet hoarding scumbags at Full Tilt or those Hellmuthian whiners at Ultimate.  No sirree, for my money, PokerStars is da bomb!  

p.s. My t-shirt size is XL

Moving on…

It isn’t often that a father gets to show off in front of his 12-year old son, and actually see some admiration in his eyes.  Typically, you might get rolled eyes or an embarrassed shake of the head.  When I coached Little League, Trevor would be embarrassed that I would catch fly balls behind my back or snatch-catch pop-ups or bounce a baseball 100 times on a bat before cranking the ball over the fence.

Last night, he was genuinely impressed.  I let him sweat me during an 18-seater on that wonderful site PokerStars.  And I won.  Of course, he was offering suggestions the whole time, moaning in pain whenever I folded Ace-rag, wondering why I would raise with Kx on the button, high-fiving me when I rivered a boat against a made wheel.  I’ve mentioned before how helpful it is to have a sounding board during tournaments, someone to bounce thoughts and ideas off of while you’re contemplating a hand.  It forces you to rationalize your decisions and think them through.  All the better when that sounding board is somewhat fluent in poker lingo.

And it’s the best when it’s your son.  And he’s proud of his old man.  

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.
You know we'll have a good time then."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home